Sunday

About Me


I am not yet thirty and I am fortunate to have had quite a full life experience. I feel that in order to learn about who I am, I have to tell my story – beginning in Peru and culminating in the USA.

I was born in a small town in Peru. When I was a child, one of my dreams was to become a successful businessperson like my grandfather, who came from humble beginnings cleaning shoes on the street and now owns many businesses. However, growing up in a macho culture, I would have to defend my vision in front of men who believed I was going to succeed, but only as a housewife. This common mentality actually drove me even harder to succeed - in my studies and my extracurricular activities. It was at this time that I really learned about discipline and hard work. I believe being surrounded by the macho culture really taught me to follow my beliefs, no matter what other people think.

I read several articles saying the world’s best business schools were in the USA, and that was the beginning of my exposure to the world. I moved to USA in 2003 by myself, without any knowledge of the language, nor about the culture and with $500 in my pocket. The beginning of my journey in USA can only be described as the greatest, riskiest adventure I ever had.

A year later, I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to work and dive into the American corporate business world. This opportunity allowed me to achieve my vision and attend the University to pursue a Business bachelors degree. I was working full time and attending school taking full-time credit classes. This really tested my perseverance, dedication and endurance. I was fortunate to have a few managers who truly believed in me and encouraged my to follow my dreams. This was my first taste of management and when I truly discovered my passion for leading people. There is too much to talk about: I learned to lead by example, communicate in different ways, motivate people in different ways, encourage people to create a collaborative environment and incorporate continuous improvement.

In 2009, I left my job to fully pursue my studies. I had an opportunity to study in Europe, something that I considered an unattainable dream. I think being in Europe really taught me that everything is possible, no matter how unreal it looks. Studying abroad re-kindled my desires to learn about the different people and cultures. I had a lot of alone time to think, which was a stark contrast to my time at my ex job. I discovered how important it was to live a balanced life and how important this alone time is.

Three months later of my return to USA, I got the opportunity to do six months co-op internship in the Global Supply Management Team. Currently, I am back from the internship and if the fortune smiles me, I will be graduating on March 2011 obtaining a Bachelors Science of Business Administration with the specialization of Operations Management and with that achieving one of my main visions and the first step to some day become the business women I want to be. I am constantly working on turning my dreams into reality. My choices and their consequences have made me into a positive person with the ability to look at things from other people’s perspective. I consider myself an avid learner, a resourceful creator and passionate adventurer. I am genuinely interested in others and want to help others discover their inner leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment